Question regarding Sample class

All other topics related to TunedIT, data mining, machine learning, research, applications, ...

Question regarding Sample class

Postby sebov » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:46 pm

Hi.
I'm going to write a Cell subclass which will produce some kind of "rules" on its output. I just wondered if there is a better solution for that than encapsulating the rule in Sample instance (which is expected to be in (data => decision) form).

Sebastian
sebov

Re: Question regarding Sample class

Postby Marcin » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:49 pm

Hi Sebastian,
"Rules" are a kind of model, not data. They are generated inside a cell during learning and can be used afterwards as a predictive model that can be applied to new data. For this reason, I discourage you from encapsulating them in a Sample instance.

The best solution is to keep generation of the model (training) and its usage (testing) in the same class, so that the model can stay inside the cell and never has to be pulled out as a separate object.

And if you really need to extract the model (rules) outside the cell, it's best to define a new method in your subclass, say MyCell.getRules(), which would return the rules as an instance of appropriate class.

Marcin
Marcin

Return to General Discussion