measurement details requested

Questions, answers, discussions related to the FIND Technologies Inc. challenge

measurement details requested

Postby brs02 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:44 pm

1. Is the process static or dynamic? Static material identification would imply that time is not a relevant dimension per se and appropriate features may be contained in the spectrum. On the other hand, the supplied images emphasize joint time-frequency plots which implies there is a dynamic process that contains additional temporal pattern information.

2. Does each set of 500 measurements represent repeated measurements of the IDENTICAL material sample (and would thus provide information on trial-to-trial sensor noise) or from 500 measurements of different material samples that presumably share common properties? This is important for being able to model variance within each class.
brs02
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: measurement details requested

Postby jamesxli » Tue May 17, 2011 6:49 pm

To (2): the organizer has seemly answered this question in another post:
... Runs for (A, B, C) were acquired 500 times for each material. Thus, the test set comprises 1500 examples.
jamesxli
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:55 pm

Re: measurement details requested

Postby jake » Tue May 17, 2011 7:01 pm

jamesxli wrote:To (2): the organizer has seemly answered this question in another post:
... Runs for (A, B, C) were acquired 500 times for each material. Thus, the test set comprises 1500 examples.


I don't think that answers the question -- that statement could be interpreted either way. The first sentence suggests that these are technical replicates, i.e. multiple measurements of exactly the same material. The second sentence suggests -- by using the word "examples" -- that they are observations on distinct subjects. I'm still confused.
jake
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 12:30 am

Re: measurement details requested

Postby franklabella » Thu May 19, 2011 10:07 am

Only one sample of each of the three substances was used for all 500 runs.
franklabella
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 12:08 am

Re: measurement details requested

Postby jamesxli » Thu May 19, 2011 7:18 pm

Just alone the same line: Do you use the same sensor repeatedly or use multiple sensors
at same time from different positions?

It seems to me that the practical task is to identify the material of a sample with 500 measurements.
If this is the case, it would be a quite different task than the one stated in this contest.
jamesxli
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:55 pm

Re: measurement details requested

Postby franklabella » Fri May 27, 2011 12:29 pm

jamesxli wrote:Just alone the same line: Do you use the same sensor repeatedly or use multiple sensors
at same time from different positions?

One sensor; samples at one site.

jamesxli wrote:It seems to me that the practical task is to identify the material of a sample with 500 measurements.
If this is the case, it would be a quite different task than the one stated in this contest.

Repeat: one sample, exposed 500 times

Frank LaBella
franklabella
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 12:08 am


Return to Materials Identification Based on Measurements of Electromagnetic Radiation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron